Tiazac Side Effects
Swelling, dizziness, and headaches are among the most commonly reported side effects of Tiazac. Some uncommon side effects (occurring in less than 2 percent of people) include a dry mouth, weight gain, and vomiting. There are also some side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider, including chest pain, depression, and hallucinations.
An Introduction to Tiazac Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Tiazac® (diltiazem hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Tiazac. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of TiazacTiazac has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to the side effects of another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Tiazac side effects included:
- Swelling or water retention in the hands, feet, or lower legs -- in up to 15 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent
- Headaches -- up to 8 percent
- Indigestion -- up to 6 percent
- A sore throat -- up to 6 percent
- Infections -- up to 6 percent
- Pain -- up to 6 percent
- Difficulty breathing -- up to 6 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 4 percent of people) included:
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Flu-like symptoms
- Muscle pain
- Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction, or ED (see Tiazac and Impotence)
- Abdominal enlargement
- Conjunctivitis ("pink eye").