Taking an overdose of Ranexa (ranolazine) may cause vomiting, confusion, or fainting. The specific effects will depend on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was combined with other drugs. Seek medical treatment right away if you believe you have taken an overdose. A healthcare provider may treat an overdose by "pumping" the stomach, administering certain medications, or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Ranexa?Ranexa® (ranolazine) is a prescription medication used to treat chronic angina (chest pain). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Ranexa.
The specific effects of a Ranexa overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the dosage and whether the tablets were taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Ranexa OverdoseIn studies, high doses of Ranexa increased the risk for the following side effects:
- Double vision
- Unusual sensations
Treatment OptionsIf the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Close monitoring of the heart
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Ranexa.