Side Effects of Pitavastatin
Back pain, constipation, and diarrhea are a few of the common side effects of pitavastatin. Although most reactions to this medication are easy to treat, it's important to let your healthcare provider know if you develop reactions that may require immediate medical attention. Some of the potentially serious side effects of this drug include muscle pain, dark urine, and difficulty breathing.
An Introduction to Side Effects of PitavastatinJust like any medicine, pitavastatin (Livalo®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible pitavastatin side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Pitavastatin Side EffectsSome pitavastatin side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever or feel ill; these may be signs of a serious breakdown of muscle, known as rhabdomyolysis (see Livalo and Muscle Pain)
- Signs of liver problems, such as:
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue or excessive tiredness
- Pain in the right upper part of the abdomen (stomach)
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Significant changes in the amount you urinate, which may be signs of a kidney problem
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.