The specific effects of an overdose on Nitrostat (nitroglycerin tablets) may include things like vomiting, seizures, and paralysis. Because some of these effects could lead to dangerous complications, seek immediate medical attention if you use too much of this drug. Treating this type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur.
Can You Use Too Much Nitrostat?Nitrostat® (nitroglycerin tablets) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of chest pain (angina) due to coronary artery disease. As with most medications, it is possible to take a Nitrostat overdose. In fact, an overdose with this medicine can be dangerous.
Effects of an OverdoseSome of the known effects of an overdose with any nitroglycerin product, including Nitrostat, include:
- A severe, throbbing headache
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (signs of low blood pressure)
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Vision problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- A slow heart rate
- Blue skin, a sign of methemoglobinemia
Treating a Nitrostat OverdoseTreatment for a Nitrostat overdose, if necessary, will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Of greatest importance, usually, is an effort to increase blood pressure. To do this, intravenous fluids can be quite useful, but can also be dangerous in certain individuals with kidney failure or congestive heart failure.
If methemoglobinemia occurs, the treatment of choice is usually methylene blue, given intravenously (by IV). Methemoglobinemia is a condition in which the oxygen carried in the bloodstream cannot be released to the body's tissue normally. It can be serious if left untreated.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much Nitrostat.