Although Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) comes in the form of a skin patch, it is possible to overdose on this drug. Some of the potential symptoms a person might experience from receiving too much nitroglycerin may include seizures, vision problems, and even death. Treatment options will likely include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms as they occur.
Can You Use Too Much Nitro-Dur?Nitro-Dur® (nitroglycerin patch) is a prescription skin patch approved for the prevention of chest pain (angina) due to coronary artery disease. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Nitro-Dur. In fact, an overdose with this medicine can be dangerous.
Effects of an OverdoseSome of the known effects of an overdose with any nitroglycerin product, including Nitro-Dur, include:
- A severe, throbbing headache
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (signs of low blood pressure)
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Vision problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- A slow heart rate
- Blue skin, a sign of methemoglobinemia
Treating a Nitro-Dur OverdoseTreatment for a Nitro-Dur overdose, if necessary, will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Of greatest importance, usually, is an effort to increase blood pressure. To do this, intravenous fluids can be quite useful, but can also be dangerous in certain individuals with kidney failure or congestive heart failure.
If methemoglobinemia occurs, the treatment of choice is usually methylene blue, given intravenously (by IV). Methemoglobinemia is a condition in which the oxygen carried in the bloodstream cannot be released to the body's tissue normally. It can be serious if left untreated.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much Nitro-Dur.