People who are using Nitro-Bid to prevent chest pain typically start with a half-inch of the ointment applied to the chest once in the morning and again six hours later. It is important that your body gets at least a 10-hour break from this medication each day, as using it around-the-clock causes the drug to become ineffective.
An Introduction to Dosing With Nitro-BidThe dose of Nitro-Bid® (nitroglycerin ointment) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending largely on how you respond to the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Nitro-Bid Dosage for Angina
The standard starting dosage of Nitro-Bid for preventing chest pain (angina) is a half-inch of the ointment, approximately 7.5 mg of nitroglycerin, applied twice daily, with the first dose in the morning and the second dose six hours later.
If this dose is not effective at preventing chest pain, your healthcare provider can double the amount (and even double it a second time), if necessary. At these higher doses, the drug is still used just twice a day.
As with all nitroglycerin products, it is important that your body gets a 10- to 12-hour break from the drug every day. Without this break, your body quickly becomes accustomed to the effects of nitroglycerin and the drug will become completely ineffective within 24 hours. If you use Nitro-Bid once in the morning and again six hours later, this will provide a sufficient break.
If you are using the foil packets instead of the tube, it is important to know that one packet is equivalent to one inch of the ointment from the tube.
General Information on Using Nitro-BidSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nitro-Bid include the following:
- This medication should be applied using the special dose-measuring applicators that come with it.
- The ointment is usually applied twice daily, typically in the morning and six hours later.
- Measure the ointment as directed, such as a half-inch or one inch, using the dose-measuring applicator. Place the applicator ointment side down on the chest or other areas of the skin and tape into place.
- If you are using this medication "off-label" for something other than preventing chest pain, you will probably have different directions for use.
- For Nitro-Bid to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Nitro-Bid, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.