Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth
Dry mouth is a side effect of Nifedical XL, occurring in 1 to 3 percent of people taking the medication. If you are taking Nifedical XL and dry mouth occurs, you can help it by sipping water often and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, and caffeinated beverages, among other things. Your healthcare provider may also suggest other treatment options, such as artificial saliva.
Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: An OverviewA dry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Nifedical XL® (nifedipine). In studies, between 1 and 3 percent of people taking Nifedical XL reported experiencing a dry mouth.
Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Nifedical XL, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, as they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: SummaryIf you develop a dry mouth while taking Nifedical XL and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Nifedical XL dosage or try another angina or high blood pressure medicine.