Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: An Overview
A dry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Nifedical XL®
). In studies, between 1 and 3 percent of people taking Nifedical XL reported experiencing a dry mouth.
Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
For people taking Nifedical XL, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, as they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
Nifedical XL and Dry Mouth: Summary
If you develop a dry mouth while taking Nifedical XL and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Nifedical XL dosage
or try another angina
or high blood pressure medicine