For people just starting Minitran, the standard dosage is between 0.2 mg/hour and 0.4 mg/hour. The skin patch is applied once a day; it should be worn for 12 to 14 hours. Because the body rapidly becomes used to nitroglycerin if it is used around-the-clock, it's essential that a 10- to 12-hour break from Minitran occurs daily. This will ensure the medication's effectiveness.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Minitran
The dose of Minitran™ (nitroglycerin patch) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending largely upon how you respond to the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Minitran Dosing for Angina
The standard starting Minitran dosage for the prevention of angina attacks (chest pain) is between 0.2 mg/hour and 0.4 mg/hour, applied once a day and removed 12 to 14 hours later. If the starting dose does not adequately control your chest pain, let your healthcare provider know. An increase may be necessary.
The Minitran patch comes in the following strengths:
- Minitran 0.1 mg per hour
- Minitran 0.2 mg per hour
- Minitran 0.4 mg per hour
- Minitran 0.6 mg per hour.
As with all nitroglycerin products, it is very important that your body gets a 10- to 12-hour break from the drug every day. Without this break, your body will become accustomed to the nitroglycerin very quickly, and it will completely stop working for you within 24 hours. Do not forget to remove the patch at the directed time, or the medication will stop working for you, even at much higher dosages.
General Information on Using Minitran
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Minitran include the following:
- This patch is applied once a day and worn for 12 to 14 hours. Make sure to take the 10- to 12-hour break as described.
- Apply the patch to a clean, dry, hair-free area of the body, preferably the chest, shoulders, upper arm, or back. Do not apply it to the arms below the elbows or the legs below the knees. If a hairless area is not available, the hair can be clipped short but not shaved. Rotate the application sites so that you don't use the same site twice in a row.
- Choose an area that is free of irritations or cuts. It is best not to apply the patch right after bathing or showering, as the skin may not be completely dry.
- Don't forget to remove the patch at the specified time, or Minitran will quickly stop working for you.
- You can swim, shower, or bathe with the patch on. In the unlikely event that the patch comes off, simply replace it with a new one, treating the patch as if it were the old one (remove it at your regular time).
- For Minitran to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Minitran dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.