If you do not take your metoprolol as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed one and continue with your regular schedule. Never take a double dose.
Is There a Generic Version?
Both versions of this medication are available in generic form (see Generic Metoprolol for more information).
Who Makes Metoprolol?
Metoprolol is manufactured by a number of different companies, depending on whether it is the brand-name or generic version. Lopressor is manufactured by Novartis Pharmaceuticals, while AstraZeneca makes Toprol-XL. A number of companies make the generic versions of metoprolol, including:
- KV Pharmaceutical
- Mylan Laboratories
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Watson Pharmaceuticals.
Immediate-release metoprolol tablets come in a number of strengths, including:
- Lopressor or generic metoprolol tartrate 50 mg
- Lopressor or generic metoprolol tartrate 100 mg.
The extended-release tablets also come in several strengths, including:
- Toprol-XL or generic metoprolol succinate 25 mg
- Toprol-XL or generic metoprolol succinate 50 mg
- Toprol-XL or generic metoprolol succinate 100 mg
- Toprol-XL or generic metoprolol succinate 200 mg.