Heart Disease Home > Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters Dosage
The usual recommended omega-3-acid ethyl esters dosage for the treatment of high triglycerides is 4000 mg per day. You can either take this all at once (as four capsules) or as two smaller doses (two capsules twice daily). Although you can take your dose at any time of the day, it is best to take it at the same time(s) each day.
There is only one standard dose for omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosing for High TriglyceridesThe recommended omega-3-acid ethyl esters dose for treating high triglycerides is 4 grams (4000 mg) a day. This can be taken all at once (as four capsules) or as two capsules twice daily.
Your healthcare provider might recommend a lower dosage if you are taking the medication "off-label" (for a use other than the FDA-approved use of treating high triglycerides).
Some considerations for people taking omega-3-acid ethyl esters include the following:
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth, once or twice a day.
- It can be taken at any time of the day; however, it is best to take the medication at the same time(s) each day.
- You can take this medication with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It is important to follow your healthcare provider's recommendations for any diet and exercise changes you need to make. Your healthcare provider may also recommend that you limit alcohol consumption (to help lower your triglycerides).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or omega-3-acid ethyl esters dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.