Heart Disease Home > Nitrostat Dosage
When an episode of chest pain (angina) occurs, the standard dose of Nitrostat is to place one tablet under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. You can use a second and third tablet, with five minutes between each tablet, if your chest pain continues. If your pain continues after using a third tablet, seek immediate medical attention.
An Introduction to Dosing With NitrostatThere is only one standard dosage for Nitrostat® (nitroglycerin tablets). As is always the case, do not adjust your Nitrostat dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Nitrostat Dosage for AnginaAt the start of an angina (chest pain) attack, place one tablet under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. Do not swallow or chew the tablet; let it dissolve on its own. If necessary, a second and third tablet may be used, with five minutes between using each tablet.
If you use a third tablet and your chest pain continues, it is time to seek immediate medical attention. You may be having a heart attack or other serious heart problem.
Do not use Nitrostat more frequently or at a higher dose than absolutely necessary. Using it too often can result in a tolerance to the drug, which means your body becomes accustomed to it and no longer responds to the medication.
It is best to rest (preferably while sitting) when using this product. Try not to be standing, if possible, in case you become dizzy or faint.
General Information on Using NitrostatSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nitrostat include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a sublingual tablet that is dissolved under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. Do not chew or swallow the tablets.
- If your chest pain continues after one tablet, you can take another one five minutes later. If chest pain is still not relieved after a third tablet, seek immediate medical attention.
- Nitrostat can also be used 5 to 10 minutes before activity that is anticipated to cause chest pain.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Nitrostat, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.