When preventing chest pain with Nitro-Dur, dosing guidelines usually start with one 0.2-mg/hour, 0.3-mg/hour, or 0.4-mg/hour patch applied to the skin once daily. Regardless of the strength, do not wear a patch for more than 12 to 14 hours. You must give your body a break from this drug for at least 10 to 12 hours each day for Nitro-Dur to be effective.
An Introduction to Dosing With Nitro-DurThe dosage of Nitro-Dur® (nitroglycerin patch) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending largely on how you respond to the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Nitro-Dur Dosage for AnginaThe standard starting dose of Nitro-Dur for the prevention of angina attacks (chest pain) is one 0.2-mg/hour, 0.3-mg/hour, or 0.4-mg/hour patch applied once a day and removed 12 to 14 hours later.
Do not forget to remove the patch at the directed time. As with all nitroglycerin products, it is important that your body gets a 10- to 12-hour break from the drug every day. Without this break, your body quickly becomes accustomed to the effects of nitroglycerin and the drug will become completely ineffective within 24 hours.
General Information on Using Nitro-DurSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nitro-Dur include the following:
- This patch is applied once a day and worn for 12 to 14 hours. Remember to give your body a 10- to 12-hour break from the drug each day.
- Apply the patch to a clean, dry, hairless area of the body, preferably the chest. Do not apply it to the arms below the elbows or the legs below the knees. If a hairless area is not available, the hair can be clipped short but not shaved.
- Choose an area that is free of irritations or cuts. It is best not to apply the patch right after bathing or showering, as the skin may not be completely dry.
- Don't forget to remove the patch at the specified time, or the medication will quickly stop working for you.
- You can swim, shower, or bathe while wearing a Nitro-Dur patch. In the unlikely event that the patch comes off, simply replace it with a new one, treating the patch as if it were the old one and removing it at your regular time.
- For Nitro-Dur to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Nitro-Dur, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.