Available by prescription only, Nitro-Bid is an ointment applied to the skin to prevent angina (chest pain). It works to prevent angina attacks by relaxing the arteries and veins in the body, which help to supply sufficient oxygen to the heart. Common side effects of the drug include headaches and low blood pressure.
What Is Nitro-Bid?Nitro-Bid® (nitroglycerin ointment) is a prescription skin ointment approved to help prevent attacks of angina (chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart).
How Does Nitro-Bid Work?Nitro-Bid works by relaxing the veins and arteries in the body. With the arteries and veins relaxed, the heart does not need to work so hard and does not require as much oxygen. Because angina is usually caused when there is not enough oxygen to meet the heart's needs, Nitro-Bid can help prevent angina attacks.
However, Nitro-Bid is a skin ointment and does not start working fast enough to actually treat an angina attack that has already started.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nitro-Bid include the following:
- This medication should be applied to the skin using the special dose-measuring applicators that come with it.
- The ointment is usually applied twice daily, typically in the morning and six hours later.
- As with all nitroglycerin products, it is important that your body gets a 10- to 12-hour break from the drug every day. Without this break, your body quickly becomes accustomed to the nitroglycerin and the drug will become completely ineffective within 24 hours. If you use Nitro-Bid once in the morning and once six hours later, this will provide a sufficient break.
- Measure the ointment as directed, such as half-inch or one inch, using the dose-measuring applicator. Place the applicator ointment side down on the chest or other areas of the skin and tape into place.
- If you are using Nitro-Bid "off-label" for something other than preventing chest pain, you will probably have different directions for use.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.