As with any medicine, side effects are possible with metoprolol
(available as Lopressor®
). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
(This article covers many, but not all, possible side effects with metoprolol. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of metoprolol side effects with you.)
Metoprolol Side Effects to Report
Some side effects with metoprolol are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained swelling or sudden weight gain (see Metoprolol and Weight Gain)
- Chest pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting spells
- An irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.