Heart Disease Home > Flaxseed Oil Side Effects
Most people do not experience side effects while taking flaxseed oil, but it is possible for problems to occur, especially when you take the product in high doses. If you take more than two tablespoonfuls of flaxseed oil a day, you may experience diarrhea or loose stools. Certain side effects are potentially dangerous and require medical attention, such as any signs of bleeding or an allergic reaction.
- Any signs of bleeding (which may theoretically occur with high doses of flaxseed oil), such as:
- Easy bruising or cuts that do not stop bleeding
- Black, tarry stools; bright-red blood in the stool; or vomiting blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain), such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.