Heart Disease Home > Benefits of Fish Oil
Fish oil supplements offer several benefits, such as treating cardiovascular disease, helping with mental health problems, and controlling weight. Fish oil may also improve brain and eye development when taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding. However, because supplements may contain heavy metals or other toxins, do not use them without first talking to your healthcare provider.
What Are the Benefits of Fish Oil?Fish oil appears to provide a wide variety of health benefits. Because the typical American diet does not include much fish, many people turn to supplements to obtain these benefits. Research suggests that taking fish oil supplements probably provides similar benefits as eating a diet high in fish.
- Treating certain conditions of cardiovascular disease (including cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, heart attacks, and strokes)
- Controlling weight (both weight gain and weight loss)
- Treating rheumatoid arthritis
- Aiding in pregnancy and childhood development
- Helping with mental health problems
- Reducing the risk of various age-related conditions.