Heart Disease Home > Felodipine Side Effects
Common Side EffectsFelodipine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and then compared to the side effects of another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common felodipine side effects included:
- Swelling of the lower legs, hands, or feet (peripheral edema) -- in up to 17.4 percent of people.
- Headaches -- up to 14.7 percent (see Felodipine and Headaches)
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- up to 6.9 percent
- Weakness -- up to 3.9 percent
- Upset stomach or indigestion -- up to 3.9 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold) -- up to 3.9 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3.7 percent.
Other common effects (occurring in 1.5 to 1.7 percent of people) included:
- A runny nose
- A warm sensation
Rare Side EffectsThere are other possible felodipine side effects that can occur. These rare side effects occur in less than 1.5 percent of people. For these side effects, it is difficult to tell whether the side effect is actually caused by felodipine or something else.
Some of these rare side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Dry mouth
- Acid reflux
- Back pain
- Muscle cramps
- Decreased sex drive
- Impotence (see Felodipine and Impotence).