Heart Disease Home > Effient Overdose
Although little is known about what to expect from an overdose of Effient (prasugrel), animal studies suggest that symptoms could include vomiting, irregular breathing, and other problems. An overdose also could increase your risk of dangerous internal bleeding, since even normal doses of the drug increase the chance of bleeding. If bleeding problems occur, you may be given a platelet blood transfusion.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Effient?Effient® (prasugrel hydrochloride) is a prescription antiplatelet medication used to prevent blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, and death after angioplasty heart procedures. Little is known about the effects of an overdose with Effient.
Effects of an OverdoseAlthough it would seem that an Effient overdose would drastically increase the risk of bleeding, this is probably not the case. The antiplatelet effects of the drug are unlikely to be significantly greater in the case of an overdose, compared to a standard Effient dosage. However, since the medication may increase the risk of bleeding in any individual, even at normal doses, taking too much could result in bleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding.
In animals, symptoms of an overdose with Effient include:
- Liver problems
- Dilated (wide open) pupils
- Irregular breathing
- Watery eyes
- Droopy eyelids
- Decreased movement
- Staggering gait.
Treatment for an Effient OverdoseIf an overdose of Effient (or even a normal dose) causes bleeding problems, a platelet blood transfusion may be given to restore the blood's ability to clot. Any other complications that arise will also be treated as necessary. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing the drug from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Effient.