Coumadin 5 mg Tablets
Coumadin® (warfarin sodium) is a prescription anticoagulant, often described as a "blood thinner" (although it does not actually thin the blood). It is used to prevent and treat blood clots due to various causes. The medication comes in various strengths, including:
- 1 mg Coumadin tablets (pink color)
- 2 mg Coumadin tablets (lavender color)
- 2.5 mg Coumadin tablets (green color)
- 3 mg Coumadin tablets (tan color)
- 4 mg Coumadin tablets (blue color)
- 5 mg Coumadin tablets (peach color)
- 6 mg Coumadin tablets (teal color)
- 7.5 mg Coumadin tablets (yellow color)
- 10 mg Coumadin tablets (white color).
Coumadin is not dosed like most other medications. Taking too little of this drug increases your risk for blood clots and strokes, and taking too much increases your risk for dangerous internal bleeding. Even tiny dosing changes can have a large effect. Additionally, a dose that is safe and effective for one person may not be right for another person.
Therefore, Coumadin dosing must be individualized. Keep in mind that a dosage that works well today may not be appropriate next week. Sometimes frequent dosing adjustments are necessary (although ideally, most people will achieve a somewhat steady dose).
(Click Coumadin Dosage for more detailed information on how dosing works for this medication, to find out what factors may cause a need for a dosage adjustment, and for general tips and precautions for using this drug.)