Heart Disease Home > Does CoQ10 Work?
Does CoQ10 Work for Heart Health?In general, studies have shown promise that CoQ10 can help to treat various heart conditions or problems, but more research is necessary. Specifically, early studies have shown that CoQ10 may be beneficial for the following uses:
- CHF -- Studies have shown that CoQ10 may improve many of the symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF) when it is used in combination with the usual CHF medications. However, this issue is controversial; some studies have not shown any benefit of CoQ10 in terms of several important measures of CHF, including how well the heart pumps blood. Currently, the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology do not recommend CoQ10 for treating congestive heart failure.
- Chest pain -- Some studies have also shown that CoQ10 may help with chest pain (known medically as angina). However, there is not enough evidence to recommended CoQ10 for this use at this time.
- High blood pressure -- CoQ10 may also lower blood pressure, especially in people already taking blood pressure medication.
- Heart bypass surgery -- There is also some evidence that taking CoQ10 before cardiac bypass surgery may help to lessen the damage to the heart caused by a lack of oxygen during surgery.
- Heart attacks -- Early research indicates that taking CoQ10 after a heart attack may prevent additional heart attacks or other heart problems.