Heart Disease Home > Cartia XT Side Effects
Slow heart rate, water retention, headache, and weakness are the most common side effects of Cartia XT. Those that are rare and have been reported in less than 1 percent of people taking the drug include drowsiness, flushing, and vomiting. Some side effects of Cartia XT are potentially serious and require immediate medical attention, such as depression, arrhythmia, and hallucinations.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Cartia XT (Cardizem CD®); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Cartia XT. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Cartia XT side effects with you.)
Some side effects with Cartia XT, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Signs of low blood pressure, such as dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Depression (see Diltiazem and Depression)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.