Heart Disease Home > Cartia XT Side Effects
Cartia XT has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Cartia XT side effects included:
- Headache -- in up to 5.4 percent of people
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia) -- up to 3.3 percent
- Swelling or water retention, especially in the hands, feet, or lower leg (edema) -- up to 2.6 percent
- Weakness -- up to 1.8 percent.
Rare Cartia XT side effects occur in less than 1 percent of people taking the drug. However, it is difficult to tell whether these side effects are actually caused by the medication itself or other factors.
Some of these rare side effects include but are not limited to:
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face)
- Abnormal dreams
- Memory loss (amnesia)
- Dry mouth (see Diltiazem and Dry Mouth)
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Loss of appetite
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Taste changes
- Weight gain (see Diltiazem Weight Gain)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction or ED (see Diltiazem and Impotence).