Heart Disease Home > Amlodipine Side Effects
There are a number of less common -- but more serious -- side effects with amlodipine that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Signs of low blood pressure, such as dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting
- Severe swelling and water retention
- Rapid weight gain
- Depression (see Norvasc and Depression)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Rare Side Effects of AmlodipineThere are other possible amlodipine side effects that can occur. These rare amlodipine side effects occur in less than 1 percent of people. For these side effects, it is difficult to tell whether the side effect is actually caused by the amlodipine medicine or something else.
Some of these possible rare side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty swallowing
- Back pain
- Hot flashes
- Weight gain (see Weight Gain and Norvasc)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Sexual problems (see Norvasc and Impotence).