Tips for Remembering to Take Your Heart Medicine
"Take your medicine." It sounds simple, but there can be a lot to remember when you take regular medication -- especially if you're using more than one. To make the process easier, try these tips:
- Place "sticky notes" in visible places to remind yourself to take your medicines. You might put a note on the fridge, on the bathroom mirror, or on the inside of your front door.
- Use a weekly pillbox with separate compartments, available at most drugstores. Keep the box on your kitchen counter or another place where you'll see it frequently throughout the day.
- Use a pill calendar or drug reminder chart. Many doctors' offices make them available to patients on request.
- Wear a wristwatch with an alarm. Set the alarm to remind you when you should take your medicine.
- If you use a computer daily, program a startup reminder to take your medicines, or sign up with a free service that will send you a daily reminder e-mail.