Flaxseed Oil Dosage
While there is no standard flaxseed oil dosing guideline, a "dose" of one or two teaspoonfuls is typically recommended for a variety of uses (although the effectiveness of flaxseed oil has not been confirmed). Until more information is available about the best flaxseed oil dosage, it is a good idea to keep your flaxseed oil intake to a moderate level.
An Introduction to Flaxseed Oil Dosage
The best flaxseed oil dosage has not yet been determined. In fact, "dosage" may not be the best term, since flaxseed oil is often used simply as a food product. Yet, because many people take the product solely for the health benefits of flaxseed oil, it may be helpful to discuss reasonable intakes.
Flaxseed oil is not the same thing as flaxseed (the seeds from which flaxseed oil is obtained). This article does not apply to flaxseed.
Reasonable Flaxseed Oil Dosing
In general, a dose of one or two teaspoonfuls of flaxseed oil is recommended for a variety of uses. It is not known if such doses are effective for these uses. Although flaxseed oil can be swallowed plain, it is more palatable when used in food, such as in a salad dressing.
General Information on Dosing for Flaxseed Oil
Some considerations for people taking flaxseed oil include:
- There is some concern that heat may destroy some of the active components of flaxseed oil, and many people advocate taking flaxseed oil uncooked. It is not known if this is really necessary.
- As with any food or dietary supplement, it is probably possible to overdo flaxseed oil. Until more information is available about the best flaxseed oil dosages, it is a good idea to keep your flaxseed oil intake to a moderate level.
- It is sometimes recommended that flaxseed oil be stored in the refrigerator in a dark bottle to keep it from going rancid, but it is not known if this is really necessary.
- If you have any chronic health problems or take any prescription medications, it is probably a good idea to check with your healthcare provider before taking flaxseed oil, especially at high doses.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or flaxseed oil dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider.