Felodipine Side Effects
Some of the most common side effects of felodipine include weakness, headaches, and swelling in the hands, legs, or feet. Other, less common side effects (occurring in less than 1.5 percent of people taking the drug) include insomnia, vomiting, and impotence. While side effects with this drug are typically minor, it is possible to develop serious side effects (such as chest pain and depression) that may require immediate medical attention.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with felodipine (Plendil®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. When side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with felodipine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of felodipine side effects with you.)
There are a number of possible side effects with felodipine that you should report to your healthcare provider, including, but not limited to:
- Chest pain
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Signs of low blood pressure, such as dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Severe swelling and water retention
- Rapid weight gain
- Depression (see Felodipine and Depression)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.