For those who are beginning high blood pressure treatment with felodipine, dosing typically starts at 5 mg once a day. Elderly people or those who have liver problems may need to start on a lower dose of felodipine. Dosing can be increased up to 10 mg once daily if blood pressure is not controlled with the medication.
The dose of felodipine (Plendil®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your felodipine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting felodipine dose for treating high blood pressure (hypertension) is felodipine 5 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to felodipine 10 mg daily (if your blood pressure in not under control) or decrease your dose to felodipine 2.5 mg daily (if you experience bothersome felodipine side effects).
Elderly people or people who have liver problems should start at a lower felodipine dose, as they are more likely to have higher levels of the medication in their blood.
Some considerations for people taking felodipine include:
- Felodipine comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- Because felodipine tablets are extended release, they should not be crushed, broken, or chewed. Be sure to swallow felodipine tablets whole.
- Felodipine should be taken with food.
- Felodipine should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For felodipine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Felodipine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to felodipine or your dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.