(Click Diltiazem Drug Interactions for more information about these possible interactions.)
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking diltiazem if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia), including sick sinus syndrome
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney disease
- Low blood pressure
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Diltiazem and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Diltiazem and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Diltiazem Precautions and Warnings for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take diltiazem.)
- Extremely low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Heart failure
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia).
If you happen to overdose, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click Diltiazem Overdose for more information.)