General considerations include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You should take Coreg CR with food.
- Swallow the capsules whole; do not chew or crush the capsules.
- If absolutely necessary, the capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should not be warm and should be eaten immediately without chewing.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day, to keep an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of Coreg CR that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Coreg CR
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Coreg CR Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, Coreg CR can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Coreg CR include, but are not limited to:
- High blood sugar
(Click Coreg CR Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)