In the case of clopidogrel, dosing guidelines usually recommend taking one 75 mg tablet by mouth each day. It's best to take clopidogrel at the same time every day. Although clopidogrel dosing is not significantly affected by whether the medication is taken with food, it is important not to crush, break, or chew the tablet.
For most people, the recommended clopidogrel bisulfate (Plavix®) dosage is one clopidogrel 75 mg tablet by mouth every day. The dose of clopidogrel your healthcare provider prescribes may vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless specifically instructed by your healthcare provider to do so.
The clopidogrel dosage is the same, regardless of indication (such as clot prevention after a stroke or following a heart attack). Standard clopidogrel dosing involves taking one clopidogrel 75 mg tablet by mouth every day.
Some considerations for people taking clopidogrel include the following:
- Clopidogrel should be taken at the same time each day, morning or evening, to maintain an even level of clopidogrel in your blood.
- If you do not take your clopidogrel as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take double the dose at one time.
- Your clopidogrel dosage can be taken with or without food.
- For clopidogrel to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Clopidogrel will not work if you take it in a way other than the one prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to clopidogrel or your clopidogrel dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking clopidogrel without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.