Cartia XT Dosage
The recommended Cartia XT dosage for treating chest pain is 120 mg to 180 mg once a day. For the treatment of high blood pressure, the usual starting dose is 180 mg to 240 mg once daily. If your condition does not improve or bothersome side effects occur, your healthcare provider can increase or decrease your Cartia XT dose as needed.
The dose of Cartia XT (Cardizem CD®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Cartia XT Dosage for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dose of Cartia XT for treating high blood pressure (hypertension) is 180 mg to 240 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to control your blood pressure or decrease your dose if you experience bothersome Cartia XT side effects.
Cartia XT Dosage for AnginaThe recommended starting dose of Cartia XT for treating chest pain (angina) is 120 mg to 180 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to control your chest pain. The dosage can also be decreased if you experience bothersome side effects of Cartia XT.
Considerations for people taking Cartia XT include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take Cartia XT with or without food.
- Because Cartia XT capsules are extended-release, they should not be opened, broken, or chewed. Be sure to swallow them whole.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For Cartia XT to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Cartia XT dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.