Brilinta comes in tablet form and is meant to be taken with aspirin. Although everyone takes the same dose of Brilinta each day, it is not clear exactly how long people should continue to take it. Some people will need to take it longer than others. Your healthcare provider will provide instructions on how long it should be taken in your particular case.
There is only one standard dosage for Brilinta™ (ticagrelor), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The very first dose of Brilinta given to a person is known as the "loading dose" and is 180 mg (two 90-mg tablets), along with 325 mg of aspirin (a standard, full-strength aspirin tablet). After that, the standard recommended dosage is 90 mg twice daily, along with 70 to 100 mg of aspirin (a "low-dose" aspirin) once a day. Taking more than 100 mg of aspirin per day actually makes Brilinta less effective.
At this time, it is not entirely clear how long people should continue to take Brilinta, and different healthcare providers may have different opinions on this matter. Your healthcare provider will take into account your particular situation when recommending how long you should take it.
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Brilinta include the following:
- If you miss a dose of Brilinta, simply skip it and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Brilinta should be taken with aspirin.
- Your healthcare provider will take into account your particular situation when recommending how long you should continue to take this medication. Some people may need to take it longer than others.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Brilinta dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.