Amlodipine Side Effects
While most people tolerate amlodipine well, it is still possible for side effects to occur. Common side effects of amlodipine include dizziness, swelling, and heart palpitations. If you experience more serious amlodipine side effects (such as chest pain or rapid weight gain), contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Amlodipine Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with amlodipine besylate (Norvasc®); however, not everyone who takes amlodipine will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate amlodipine well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, possible side effects with amlodipine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of amlodipine side effects with you.)
Common Amlodipine Side EffectsAmlodipine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on the results of these studies, the most common amlodipine side effects include:
- Swelling or water retention (edema) -- in up to 10.8 percent of people
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations) -- up to 4.5 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 4.5 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3.4 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.9 percent
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- up to 2.6 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 1.6 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 1.4 percent.