As with any medication, it is possible to take too much amlodipine. Overdose symptoms will vary, depending on a number of factors, but may include dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart. Treatment for an overdose can involve "pumping the stomach," taking certain medicines, or supportive care.
What If I Take Too Much Amlodipine?
Amlodipine besylate (Norvasc®) is a prescription medication known as a calcium channel blocker. It is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and certain types of heart disease. The effects of an overdose with amlodipine will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much amlodipine was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken too much amlodipine.
Symptoms of an Overdose of Amlodipine
It is not fully known what effects an overdose may cause in humans. Based on the effects of an amlodipine overdose in animals, and based on the way the medication works, symptoms may include:
- Low blood pressure
- Fast heart rate.
This may cause signs or symptoms that include:
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart.
Treating an Amlodipine Overdose
The treatment for an overdose of amlodipine will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on complications that occur
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs.