The amlodipine dosage your doctor recommends will be based on several factors, including your age and whether you are taking other medicines. Amlodipine dosing generally starts at 5 mg; depending on the results of the medication, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease the dose throughout your treatment.
The dose of amlodipine besylate (Norvasc®) recommended by your healthcare provider will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your amlodipine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Amlodipine Dosing for Adults
The recommended starting amlodipine dose in people with high blood pressure (hypertension) or heart disease is amlodipine 5 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to amlodipine 10 mg daily. The dosage can also be decreased if you experience bothersome amlodipine side effects.
Amlodipine Dosing for Children
The recommended starting dose of amlodipine for children ages as young as six years old with high blood pressure is amlodipine 2.5 to 5 mg once daily.
Some considerations for people taking amlodipine include:
- Amlodipine comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- It does not matter if you take amlodipine with or without food.
- Amlodipine should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For amlodipine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to amlodipine or your amlodipine dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.