Amlodipine besylate (Norvasc®) is a prescription medicine approved for the treatment of blood pressure and heart disease. Although most people respond well to amlodipine, alternatives are available if your condition does not improve or if you develop bothersome side effects.
Other types of calcium channel blockers include:
- Amlodipine/benazepril (Lotrel®)
- Nifedipine (Adalat®, Procardia®)
- Felodipine (Plendil®)
- Nisoldipine (Sular®)
- Verapamil (Calan®, Covera®, Verelan®)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem®, Tiazac®).
Other alternatives to amlodipine that are not calcium channel blockers include:
- Beta blockers
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs)
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Alpha blockers
- Alpha-beta blockers
- Nervous system inhibitors
(Click Blood Pressure Medicine for more information about these various alternatives to amlodipine, including information on how they work and a list of different products that belong to each drug class.)